DIY: Pom Pom Tote
Here is a bright, cheery DIY to make for yourself or for each of your bridesmaids and don't forget your flower girl! They would also make wonderful bachelorette party totes. Here, we used our Medium Totes, but you could adapt the instructions for any size tote. You could add a few rows/columns of pom poms for the Extra Large Tote or reduce to a single row of pom poms for our Wine Totes to make an adorable housewarming gift.
Embroidery Thread (we used 9 different colors; 3 shades of pinks; 3 shades of blues; 3 shades of yellows, but feel free to experiment and find the color combinations you love)
1. Choose your embroidery thread and create 9 pom poms.
How to make a pom pom using the Clover Pom Pom Maker:
- The Clover Pom Pom Maker has two sides each with two arcs where you wrap the fiber. Keeping the arcs together, pull them out on one side, and wrap your embroidery thread around until you can no longer see the inner arc. This will create a thicker pom pom (the less you wrap the less fluffy your pom pom will be). Close this side back into the maker.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Close both sides back into the maker.
- Following the groove in between the two arcs snip all of the threads.
- Cut a piece of thread about 24” long. Tie around pom pom in the groove, pulling tightly. Double knot. Repeat on other side. Repeat one more time for added security.
- Open up the pom pom maker.
- Pull the center of the pom pom maker off and remove the pom pom.
- Trim as needed. Be careful not to snip the thread around the center. We will use this to attached the pom poms to the bag.
- Repeat for 8 more pom poms.
2. Now that all of your pom poms are made it's time to attach them to the tote bag.
3. Using our Medium Tote create 9 marks on your tote where your pom poms will be placed. Your pom poms will cover these marks so feel free to use a light pencil mark or a pen with disappearing ink. Measure 3.25" down from the top of the bag and 7" in from the sides to find your top center mark. Add a mark 3.5" on either side of your top center mark. Create another row of 3 marks 3" down from the first row. Then, a third row of 3 marks 3" down from the second row. The bottom row should be about 3" up from the bottom.
4. Sew the pom poms to the tote:
- Thread one side of the center thread onto an embroidery needle. Place the pom pom over the first mark.
- Pull the needle through to the inside of the bag, making sure the thread is hidden under the pom pom. Pull the needle back up to the right side of the bag on the opposite side of the pom pom.
- Go through the center of the pom pom and back through to the inside of the bag.
- Repeat with the second string.
- For added security repeat these steps one or two more times.
- Tie the two strings together on the inside of the bag with a double knot. Trim threads.
5. Repeat Step 4 for the rest of the pom poms.
Enjoy your new pom pom tote!
1. When making your pom poms, ensure they are tied together nice and tight in the center to ensure they are secure and don't come apart.
2. Try to keep your trimming to a minimum. The more you trim the more you may see the center thread tying them together. You may have to fluff your pom poms a bit to hide this thread. Using the same color thread as your pom pom will help it blend in.
3. Experiment with different sized pom poms and different fibers.